December 16, 2012

Sympathy for Sandy Hook School Victims

This weekend, my prayers go out to the victims and families of the shooting that took place in Newtown, CT.  Like many of you, I was horrified when I heard the news.  My first reaction upon hearing the news was fear -- my best friend and her beautiful twin daughters were occupying kindergarten classrooms in CT on Friday morning.  The name of the school and the town reported on the news alerts sounded vaguely familiar to me, so I frantically searched to find out whether they could possibly be in the line of fire.  After learning that Newtown was far enough away from where they live that I needn't worry for their safety, I was relieved for a brief moment, and then terrified on behalf of all the other families out there who unfortunately couldn't say the same.

This kind of senseless tragedy would be incredibly difficult to deal with at any time, but it's especially heartbreaking to see this happen during the holiday season.  Those 20 children should have been writing out wish lists to Santa, leaving snacks for reindoor, singing carols, ice skating, drinking hot cocoa, and opening holiday presents.  Instead, parents are planning to lay their innocent children to their final rest, before they've even had a chance to live their lives.  It is disgusting to know we live in a world where this could, and did, happen.

I am praying for all the victims and their families, and hope they find the strength to deal with what has happened in their lives.

As for me, I am very selfishly looking forward to seeing my best friend and her two cuties in January.


1 comment:

  1. Love you, too!!!! You know Newtown bc Ben's dad lives there!

    ReplyDelete