July 26, 2012

Derecho, derecho

go away and don't come back another day!

Source
According to The Wall Street Journal:
Forecasters upgraded the entire tri-state to a “moderate risk” of severe weather Thursday, specifically noting that the New York City area will also have an unusually high chance of tornadoes as well. At the moment, the city itself has about a 45% chance of experiencing winds stronger than hurricane force in the evening.

Moderate risk forecasts are extremely rare in Greater New York, occurring only once on average every six years. They are even less likely to be issued more than 24 hours in advance, as happened on Wednesday.

Although I currently see nothing but sunny skies through my office window, I have a feeling the rain boots and umbrella I brought to work today are not going to cut it if in fact hurricane winds and torrential downpours.  I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope for continued sunny skies.  The thing about the weather is that it's so unpredictable, it can change for better or for worse with the change of the wind!  Hopefully the weather reporters are wrong (I know, that never happens) and the derecho won't hit us after all.

Am I the only one who has never heard of a derecho before?


No comments:

Post a Comment